Event Planning Mistakes to Avoid
Event planning can seem impossible at times, especially if you want everything to go off without a hitch!
Whether you’re short on time or worried there’s not enough room for all your guests, many different issues could arise before your event. To help turn your vision into reality, here are five event planning mistakes to avoid.
5 Common Event Planning Mistakes
1. Not Starting With the Budget
It can be tempting to dive headfirst into event planning, but be practical about how much you can spend.
Ideally, you should set your budget before you book a venue and narrow down the guest list. Once you decide where to splurge and save, then you can start planning major event details.
If overspending is a concern, check out these tips for how to stick to your event budget.
2. Not Researching Event Venues
All in all, you’ll want to begin planning your event after you’ve narrowed down a few dates. And the best way to start is to find and secure a venue!
Most venues are pre-booked for weeks or months in advance, so start looking for an event space as early as possible. The same can also be said for rental equipment, which you’ll also need to reserve ahead of time.
Once you’ve secured a venue, it can’t hurt to make a checklist to help keep track of everything. From following up with attendees to confirming with vendors, this list will help make party planning much easier.
3. Inviting Too Many Guests
One of the biggest planning mistakes to avoid is inviting too many people to your event.
Overall, your guest list should comply with your budget and the size of your venue. If you’ve already booked a venue and space is limited, invite less people so you can properly accommodate everyone.
This also applies to what size dance floor you need. If you invite 200 people to your event, there should be enough room for 100 guests or 50 couples to be on the floor at one time. In this case, you would either want an 18’ x 18’ or 20’ x 20’ rental depending on how lively your crowd is.
4. Buying Instead of Renting Equipment
Another one of the best ways to stay within your budget is renting items instead of buying them. Not only will this help you match your event theme without breaking the bank, but you also won’t have to worry about set-up or takedown.
To help kick things off, here are a few things you can rent from a local event rental company.
- Tables and chairs - While you may not need tables or chairs for the type of event you’re throwing, renting allows you to match styles and have exactly what you need. Plus, renting chairs and tables is a lot easier, and more reliable, than throwing something together at the last minute.
- Catering - If there’s one thing that can make or break an event, it’s the catering. Do your research on the catering company you hire, or rent equipment and supply the food and drinks yourself.
- Dance floor - Dance floor rentals are a great way to keep the party going while adding an experiential element to your event. The cost to rent an LED dance floor depends on the size of the venue and how many people you’re expecting.
- Outdoor tents - If you’re planning on having your event outside, consider making it a tented event to help keep guests comfortable. Not only will a tent protect people from the elements, but they’re easy to install.
5. No Backup Plan For Outdoor Event
If you’re a Florida resident, you know how fickle the weather can be. However, don’t let this get in the way of your plans! Whether it’s because of rain or unseasonably hot weather, it's good to have a backup plan if you need to move indoors at some point.
Certain items, like dance floor rentals, can be set up inside if needed. For instance, at Florida LED Dance Floors, our LED rentals have magnetic connections for fast assembly in 45 minutes or less.
Rent an LED Dance Floor in Clearwater, FL
No event is perfect. While planning ahead may prepare you for minor bumps in the road, remember to learn from past planning mistakes.
Call 727-474-9927 for a FREE quote today.